Re: Re: Re: Deva?

From: Peter Nordstrand <doctorpeace_at_...>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 13:54:40 +0100

Mikko Rintasaari:

>> I've been looking at old norse words for god and spirit, but old norse
>> dictionaries aren't that easy to find.

Jonas Schiött:

> I think nature spirits (and just about all spirits in old norse lore are
> nature spirits) were usually called alfr or vettr

I am not entirely convinced of the spiritual nature of alfer or vettar. On the other hand, real-world mythological beings did not evolve out of a need to classify them in Hero Wars terms. :-)

John Hughes:

> Anglo-Saxons dealt with spirits based around the concepts of 'wyrd' and
> life-force or breath, neither unfamiliar to your average Heortling.

In fact, the modern Swedish word for spirit (ande) also means breath.

Greg Stafford:

>It [deva] is an experimental HW term for minor godlings, because of the
> considerable protest about the word daimone.

FWIW I most certainly like the term deva.

Best regards,
/Peter Nordstrand

Do You Yahoo!?