Re: Spirit or Daimone?

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 16:23:29 -0000

Depends of course on whether you have any skill at recognizing spirits or daimones. As a comparison, how do you tell whether a snake is poisonless, or not? How do you tell a wolf from a coyote? How do you tell a logical argument from a fallacy? How do you tell granite from basalt? How do you tell Yavor's lightning spear from the blasphemous summoning of a soulless westerner?

I figure much like most things, it is basically a skill, one that some people have a knack for, but which can be learned by anyone with enough work. Of course, Glorantha being Glorantha many people have magical abilities to do the same thing. Frex, god-talkers can recognize nearby spirits and 'gods' (including daimones/devas/godlings) which is probably largely a learned skill, while Tatouth devotees can recognize (iirc) nature spirits and daimones as a magical ability (they share Tatouth's ability to discearn this part of the nature of the world).

Therefore, I'd say that:
- Anyone can try, using an unskilled '6' if they don't have a relevant skill (something feels really weird, I bet that is a spirit!).

Just my take on it. Others may prefer that only 'professionals' or those with magical abilities can tell the difference. Probably something that people need to decide within their games.

--Bryan