Re: Another "Just curious" question

From: con1453_at_...
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 19:27:45 EST

In a message dated 2/1/02 7:07:30 PM, nysalor_at_... writes:

<< As both player and GM, I always try to up the wonder quotient. If we're not going to be simulationist, then lets take advantage of the system to really *be* magical and heroic. So yes, abilities like this are fine, just as I'd be lenient with the disads when using mythically appropriate feats.(My perspective is no doubt partially a reaction to too many RQ years tramping around as an initiate, hoarding just one or two one-use Rune Spells, and dreaming of the day when I'd have some decent power under my belt.) >>

As a player, I would hesitate to ask for some weird power, because I know that the GM in our games would put some weird twist on it! (That's what I do to them -- the basic rules of our GMing each other in our family-based games is "nothing comes without cost.") That doesn't mean that I wouldn't do it, it just means that I would hesitate and try to think what the downside might be, in the form of geases or some unexpected consequence (roll to control your "breathe flame" when you are some stressful situation in the middle of a forest, or whatever; suddenly, you find yourself flying).

Jim Chapin