Re: Re: Deva?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 16:06:45 +1300

Nick Eden:

> >Using spirits for petty gods does lead to the confusing
> >situation where if you want a magician to deal with a
> >spirits, the spirit-talker may not be the best person to
> >ask.

>But can make for an entertaining scene if the player characters put
>all their faith into the Kolating, who can't even start to deal with
>the problem.

You can get that type of scene without inflicting confusing terminology upon the Heortlings. All it requires is that the heroes misunderstand some information about the entity that they face.

>It's easy to tell the difference between an incarnate humakti daimone
>and a ghost, but I don't think most Heortlings could tell the
>difference between a wind spirit and a wind daimone.

They do according to Thunder Rebels. The Kolat Winds are a distinct type of wind (TR p125) while the most disturbing thing about the Uroxi winds is that "although they are often normal Umbroli, sometimes they are spirit winds and many times both types blow together" (TR p128).

--Peter Metcalfe