Movie Review - Brotherhood of the Wolf

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 09:23:25 -0800

Ellen & I went to see BotW last night, and Wow!

Running time, ~2 1/2 hours
It is in French, with subtitles that are mostly on (from my three years of High School French 25 years ago...), but a few ones that make you go "huh?"

The basic story: in 176somtheing there is a monster terrorizing a province in France. A troubleshooter (from the Royal Gardens) is sent to investigate with his trusty Choctaw sidekick. He soon realizes that the monster is *not* the wolf that he has been told. (I don't want to spoil the plot, which was predictable in some parts, but had some good twists).

A little 'Lone Ranger/Shane/Yojimbo', a lot of low-wire fighting (no
"Crouching Tiger" flying, but a lot of flips and flying kicks), Flintlock
fu, Axe fu, Monster fu, Crossbow fu. Some female nudity, but no real steamy stuff (I suppose it depends on your definition of steamy, but the hero kept his drawers on at all times). Mix in Matrix's camera work (a lot of Regular speed-slow motion-regular speed transitions during the fights, the sound of the fights was cranked up a bit too high for my taste), but at least no "360 camera pan while the hero hangs in the air". _The Ghost & The Darkness_ gets a few nods, as does _Sleepy Hollow_ (The Johnny Depp version).

ObGlorantha - This looks like a good scenario for one of the Lunar Provinces (Tarsh, say) with Lunar Nobility, Orlanthi (or other barbarian) peasants, a
"good" barbarian (Balazaring or Praxian Sable rider would be good), Secret
agents, monsters, etc.

RR