Re: Balmyr moved?

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 17:41:21 -0800

Hiroki asks about the wandering Balmyr.

> When did the position of the Balmyr tribe move to the south?
>
> The Questlines article says that this tribe lies just on the southen
> foot of the Quivin Mts.
> Please tell me when and why it moved.

While the Questlines maps (and the original Walter Moore maps in Tales of the Reaching Moon) were based on our best knowledge at the time, they are not official, and like most maps of Glorantha, must be taken as informed approximations at best.

The Balmyr do indeed seem to have moved in comparison with Questlines. However, the BA map, despite its small size, is the official one.

The BA map too should be seen as an approximation of sorts, albeit the most reliable we possess. Neither the QL or the BA maps purport to show exact tribal borders. I do note that the BA map tends to exaggerate the holdings of the Free Tribes, while de-emphasising the lands of the slave tribes. This is probably in accordance with what is happening on the ground - the slave tribes are losing clans and lands to the invader and to pro-Lunar tribes.

(Out of interest, is there any official information abroad as to which tribe owns Wilmskirk?)

Given that the area between the Quivan Peaks and the Storm Mountains is called 'Sambari Pass' (see TR 14) this strengthens the positioning of the Sambari and Balmyr tribes on the BA map.

The other area of seeming difference with the Questlines maps is the Kheldon tribe. On the BA map, they are pressed to the south and west of the Quivan Mountains. This puts the tribal capital, Swenstown in the extreme east of tribal lands. Note too that the Kheldon have recently ceded tribes to the Enstalos.. way to the south. Once again, the BA map is the more correct. The Quail Hills may belong to the Aranwyth (perhaps unsurprisingly, given that they are 'the Cloud Tribe' and herd cloud sheep) rather than the Kheldon as we previously believed.

Hope this helps

John

nysalor_at_...                 John Hughes

Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

"Remember, we are dealing with barbarians..."