Grotarons, ready, aim, fire

From: fantome_at_...
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 00:13:51 +1100

For those who want to know, Grotarons have one eye on the back of each of their three hands.

The picture in Anaxials Roster is the reverse of the text description given, though the picture makes more sense with one hand holding the bow and two for the bow string/spear.

Doing so they could start pulling back the bow string with one hand, while loading the next spear (not arrow) in the other. Is this a firing rate X2 or X3?

Of course for hunting the saber toothed mountain mammoth, I'd have to agree with Peter for two hands on the bow as "one can only see the leaping sabre-toothed mountain mammoth out of the corner of one's eye." But doesn't/didn't the sabre-toothed mountain mammoth hunt in threes?

Holding the bow like this only works (assuming human like hands) if the hand/hands holding the bow are placed around the bow so the eye points out to where the bow faces. They'd have to be very co-ordinated and quick to remove their hand if this was done for the hand/s holding the bow string. Ouch. So peripheral vision only for the hand on the bow string.

But they are very dexterous, and if you consider how they would have to twist the arm and wrist just to do what I suggested, they'd have to be (double-jointed wrists and arms all).

Of course, Grotarans seem to be able to hear without having ears, so perhaps they have Grotaran sense (hidden cleverly in Grotaran Tradition knowledge/acute vision), focused by pointing their three hands in the same general direction...

Grotarans could be necessary. Cooking food with magic, without using fire, when they don't have any magic listed for them, seems to be like the mother of invention. Elder Secrets has them being (well claiming to be) the children of Enlasteer, God of Necessity, after all. :) Though the races' language is no longer Aldryami, I would have them some of them still speak it (I want one source of learning Aldryami without having to speak to the elves).

The only reason people pick on them, is that they don't understand them. All you need to know about them is if you want to make friends of a race for life, then just do a LBQ to bring back a saber toothed mountain mammoth....

Cheers (decided against Grotarons in Glorantha forever) Brian
fantome_at_... <SPACE RESERVED FOR RENT>