Re: Barbarian Adventures

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 20:17:36 -0500

My disappointment over the clan questionnaire not finding its way into Barbarian Adventures had more to do with its usefulness to the Narrator in foreshadowing events to come. Answers given at the start of the campaign may be forgotten by players as their heroes partake in a multi-year cycle of cattle raids, legal suits, tribal moots, clan fairs, etc. Presented with a series of episodes completely unrelated to the questions, or the players' answers, players will attribute less importance to them. Leaving the clan questionnaire until Orlanth is Dead lessens its overall dramatic impact because players will realize how vital their answers are to the outcome of the overall Sartar Rising story-arc.

I agree that many of the details on Lunar foes could have been excised in favor of the clan questionnaire, as well as the graphic non-player character displays. The other information, however, is very useful and interesting. I would have preferred that the entries for various player-resources include examples of the support provided at each level of victory or defeat in other than rules terms, if only to give novices to HERO WARS a better concept of what the support rules mean in real-world terms. Heck, us HW veterans can sometimes use the help too. :)

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_... | and words, its slides and