Re: Barbarian Adventures

From: wulfcorbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 15:51:23 -0000

> To be honest, I find folks like 'the typical lunar/typical raider'
a bit
> more useful than I would find Kallyr - at least at this state of the
> game. Knowing how tough/good my local Clan and Tribal rings are is
also
> useful. I think I'd have preferred more low level examples but
that's
> fine. The folks we ended up with are a bit too high end for my
tastes,
> BUT, the players are getting to the point where they are interacting
> with them as more-or-less equals at long last.

It's the "at long last" bit that gets me though. Surely BA is intended as a first book for beginner characters - certainly when 2nd edition rears it's head it will be. But the step up from the BA scenarios to these sample opponents is one hell of a big step! In the two years (or however long it's been since 1st edition was released), our group has one single character who has reached a second mastery in one single Ability (and that's a Humakti with 2W2 Close Combat, and even THEN only after a HQ). Yet here the Tarsh Raiders have 4W2 in their magic and 2W2 in Warrior! We have no chance whatsoever of reaching these levels with a balanced character (if we ignore all but a single Ability we might get that one up there). How are beginners supposed to deal with them, except by heroically running away and shouting for help from someone far more capable.

As a supplimentary question, how many HP are people awarding/being awarded on average? We usually get 3-5 average a session.

Wulf