Re: Re: Barbarian Adventures

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:08:03 -0500

wulfcorbett wrote:

> > To be honest, I find folks like 'the typical lunar/typical raider'
> a bit
> > more useful than I would find Kallyr - at least at this state of the
> > game. Knowing how tough/good my local Clan and Tribal rings are is
> also
> > useful. I think I'd have preferred more low level examples but
> that's
> > fine. The folks we ended up with are a bit too high end for my
> tastes,
> > BUT, the players are getting to the point where they are interacting
> > with them as more-or-less equals at long last.
>
> It's the "at long last" bit that gets me though. Surely BA is
> intended as a first book for beginner characters - certainly when 2nd

That's the theory. The clan-based activities and adventures like Bloodfeud were written with that in mind. As was 'A Year of Chaos.'

> edition rears it's head it will be. But the step up from the BA
> scenarios to these sample opponents is one hell of a big step! In the

Depends. I do agree with you - some of the numbers were pretty tough but I'm quite willing to shave a few points off the various enemies if need be. Game Balance is the preserve of the narrator. I'll be playing with the numbers.

> two years (or however long it's been since 1st edition was released),
> our group has one single character who has reached a second mastery
> in one single Ability (and that's a Humakti with 2W2 Close Combat,
> and even THEN only after a HQ). Yet here the Tarsh Raiders have 4W2
> in their magic and 2W2 in Warrior! We have no chance whatsoever of

Is that ALL the tarsh raiders or the leader? And, I wonder if those numbers are after they are pumped up with their auto-augments. Sadly, I don't have my copy here at work. Could someone check?

> reaching these levels with a balanced character (if we ignore all but
> a single Ability we might get that one up there). How are beginners
> supposed to deal with them, except by heroically running away and
> shouting for help from someone far more capable.

Beginners aren't supposed to "deal" with them. But they can interact with them after a few sessions rather readily. Its nice to have some mid-level mover and shaker characters to send characters out on adventures or to provide help. Almost all of those high-end folks are the result of 'We need help' and you go from Clan-> Tribe -> Someone like Drumming-always-Thunder. Remember, also, BA was the first part of the Campaign pack for Sartar Rising - many of the later adventures require stronger heroes to fulfil. There is also the section on 'leader characters' for campaign play (though I don't know if that was kept or not). In my opinion, book was not as well served by splitting it into two as it might have been.

> As a supplimentary question, how many HP are people awarding/being
> awarded on average? We usually get 3-5 average a session.
>
> Wulf

That seems a bit low, to me at least. We usually get that much xp + directed XP + a few points each week for various things like the 'clever dick award.' Ending long running stories gives a few more points as well. Directed XP is where things get useful. We use this to reflect things like 'I'll train you,' 'You've saved our village!' and 'I'll Be Back.'

We've been on hiatius for a while (the narrator was seduced by the Return of the Temple of Elemental Evil).