Re: Re: Barbarian Adventures

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:36:25 -0500

wulfcorbett wrote:

> > Depends. I do agree with you - some of the numbers were pretty
> tough but
> > I'm quite willing to shave a few points off the various enemies if
> need
> > be. Game Balance is the preserve of the narrator. I'll be playing
> with
> > the numbers.
>
> I'd have preferred to have some weaker opposition - maybe some bandit
> groups, young toughs, low-grade raiders - and keep the military units
> at their 'proper' level. But then, I'm starting to worry over this
> seeming 'mastery inflation'. I don't particularly object to a couple
> of levels of mastery, but in our current scenario, where we all had
> time to power up with augments before attacking some trolls, we have
> a few xW3, and might even get an xW4! That just seems too high

I don't mind the mastery inflation. It gives a longer playing field. And if the field was NARROWER (eg masteries were harder to get, powerups would be more significant).

As an aside, what I should have said earlier was, that after 2+ years of play, we can take on ANY of those Lunar foes listed. The only ones that scare us are those Thunder Delta Slinger maniacs. Remember also (from Storm Tribe (?)) the different kinds of battle Orlanthi wage - when facing Hoplites, use mobility. When facing Magicians, hack them into ministrone. Player characters, even weaker ones, are far more flexible than GM characters can ever be (which is the way it SHOULD be).

> > > As a supplimentary question, how many HP are people awarding/being
> > > awarded on average? We usually get 3-5 average a session.
>
> > That seems a bit low, to me at least. We usually get that much xp +
> > directed XP + a few points each week for various things
>
> I think any more than 3-5 would have to be directed, otherwise
> someone would simply plough it into Close Combat or whatever...

> Wulf

Oddly, having folks plough it into close combat WOULD put the characters on a par with the narrow-field of expertise opponents. But I like giving out directed XP - but I usually give the heroes at least 2-3 choices in how to use it.

Jeff