Re: Barbarian Adventures

From: charlescorrigan <glorantha_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 11:42:23 -0000

> I have no idea. They are fictional, and when asking that
> question what I get mostly is that "you don't understand
> Glorantha" or several varieties of "the gods are ineffable"

If we stop looking at Glorantha for a minute and look at the process that develops Glorantha instead, we can get to the answer to this point.

Greg Stafford/Issaries have only so much time and money to publish books and even within a single publication there are space constraints on what can be included.

The (hyper)active fan base develop many ideas in directions that Greg never imagined and in several cases disagreed with (and over time, in a subset of these disagreements, came to agree and include them in "canon" Glorantha).

At the end of the day, we make it all up for enjoyment. Whether what we make up is kept private for a scenario in a campaign, published to the mailing lists or published by Issaries makes little difference.

Ian Cooper, while developing the scenario in question, took one of the "new" Hero Wars goddesses and extrapolated a possibility from the outline sketch that had been published. I did something similar regarding Skovara on this list when someone questioned why Issaries should publish anything about puppetry among the Orlanthi. The only difference in what we did is that Ian submitted his scenario to Issaries for publication and got the official stamp of approval.

There is never going to be a static snapshot of the Orlanthi, or any other Gloranthan culture until Issaries and fans stop publishing. And there will never be a complete snapshot of the Orlanthi - 'cos it can't be done for any real world culture, never mind a fictional one.

regards,
Charles