Augment to W4

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 14:18:21 +0000

wulfcorbett wrote on [HeroWars]:
[It is easy to augment to W4 levels]

> Now, there is one small point in this. We were calculating augments
> for a Simple Contest, not an Extended. It was my interpretation that
> the only use a Follower could be in a Simple Contest, would be as an
> Augmentation, in which case 4 followers (at 11W) contribute a +12
> augment!

If you are ability rating A, your Followers have rating (A-8), each giving an automatic augment of (A-8)/10. If you have n Followers, your resulting rating is
Ar = A + n(A-8)/10 = (1 + n/10)A - 8n/10

The difference between the resulting ratings (which is what matters) of two people (with the same number of followers) who, of course, both use the same trick is

A_d = Ar_1 - Ar_2 = (1 + n/10)(A_1 - A_2)

Which is larger than (A_1 - A_2) for all n > 0.

That is, if Harrek (ability A_1) is already better than you, this ruling only makes you (ability A_2, less than A_1) WORSE off (increased A_d rather than decreased it). Now, bear in mind that n is unlikely to be constant, because more powerful characters are likely to have more followers. That further increases A_d for given A_1 and A_2.

Conclusion: augmenting using followers will not boost you 'to Harrek levels' because Harrek will simultaneously be boosting himself to even higher levels.