Re: Barbarian Adventures (towns)

From: Darran <darransims_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:20:11 -0000

Greetings and Salutations
2002-02-14-1520.

"elysia69" wrote:

> Just bought it! The quality of this is very high. A good 70% is
> immediately useful and I was impressed with the character stats
> layout. I thought the two pages spent on tribal rings could have been
> left out in favour of the clan questionairre and perhaps a few tables
> generating how many steads, what shrines you have, how many cows, etc.

I like the product as well and I think it covers some of my expectations. My only complaint is that the inside covers could have been used for colour pictures or maps!

> Quite a few questions were answered by this product. I was amazed
> that priests charged for rituals and the basic currency was the
> chicken!. It also posed other questions...
>
> 1) Towns were mentioned a few times. Are they..
>
> a) Big steads that got bigger?
>
> b) Some sort of fort that, say, protected a crossroads that attracted
> a settlement?
>
> c) A small city?
>
> d) None of the above.

All the above. (but I have been playing Civ3)

> 2) I'm assuming that if there are towns similar to ones we know then
> you will be living amongst those who aren't kin. Who is your boss?

It all depends on why you are in the town and what business you are on. If you are just visiting, your Clan Chief is your boss or just the head of your bloodline. I think the same style of families and bloodlines will be true for urban as well as rural Orlanthi. If you are there for your temple then your priest or religious leader (or your god) is your boss.

> 3) Is the creation of a town a need to concentrate resources on
> manufacture in a certain place?

I am no expert but a local source of a particular wherewithal will generate industry. Industry will need additional resourses to service it, like larger temples and additional workers. I worked on Tink in the 1570's mining bronze and making metal weapons/tools. But even there you got two industries forming with additional services.

> 4) If No 3 is correct do you look to your guild here?

If you are a menber of a guild and guilds are in play, then yes.

> 5) Temples seem to be a second tier of authority seperate from
> kinship. Are towns one of those road side temple complexes mentioned
> in a post a couple of weeks ago?

I think that they would be a factor in the growth of a town but there would be a secular or economic reasons as well. I t is a number of factors not just a single one.

> 6) With hero and religious bands wandering willy-nilly over the land
> do you get seasonal worker's bands?

I would think so once the fields are planted. I am thinking of the RW work gangs of egypt working on major public works once the Nile's annual floods covers the farmland. So mainly Fire season or in more temperate years during Dark season.

Cheers Darran.

... Aeolia, where the storm-clouds have their home, a place teeming with furious winds from the south. Here Aeolus is king, and in a vast cavern he controls the brawling winds and the roaring storms, keeping them curbed and fettered in their prison. Resentfully they rage from door to door in the mountainside, protesting loudly, while Aeolus sits in his high citadel, sceptre in hand, taming their arrogance and controlling their fury.

                        Virgil.  The Aeneid.