RE: Valentine

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 14:48:59 -0500

Roderick :

>And to you.

Ditto.

>In America (okay, the USA, for those purists out there that think Canada,
>Mexico and South America all deserve a chance to be called "America" too
>:-) ),

Speaking as a Canadian North America perhaps but never America. Feel free to use America for the States.:-))

>young children give out cards/candy to everyone in their class at
>school, no matter if they like the person or not (it's pretty much mandated
>by teachers, to make sure their fragile little egos are not crushed by not
>receiving cards - can you tell I don't have kids? :-| )

This is a good thing. The little guys have enough stress in their lives. The worst bit is when they're in school and daycare and need Valentines for both groups (which may include the same kids) and they can't spell yet. Talk about hand cramp. Thank goodness they can both print now (okay so the little one can only print his name but that's good enough).

>Later, when kids start going steady/dating/fixating on one person, the day
>becomes the Romantic Holiday as pushed by Sees Candies, Victoria's Secret,
>The Flower Industry and DeBeers Diamonds.

Second biggest holiday after Christmas retail-wise.

Oliver