Re: BA Towns

From: Peter Nordstrand <doctorpeace_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:50:58 +0100

Tom:

> I thought the two pages spent on tribal rings could have been
> left out

It seems that I am the only one that want more info about tribal rings (and clan rings for that matter). What are these rings like in Elmal-worshipping clans/tribes?

> 1) Towns were mentioned a few times.

Towns come in all sizes, from perhaps a couple of hundred inhabitants up to the small city. The cities mentioned all have a population of appr. 1000+ inhabitants, except for Alda-chur, which is 3-4 times bigger, and Boldhome (ten times bigger). But perhaps this is not what you asked.

> 2) I'm assuming that if there are towns similar to ones we know then
> you will be living amongst those who aren't kin. Who is your boss?

IN THE TOWNS
In my opinion, a town consisting of 100 -300 adults is not noticeably different from any other stead. The most important feature, that separates it from your average stead, is probably the marketplace.

IN THE CITIES
The City Ring has the function of the Clan Ring, and makes decisions in the same way. The mayor is the chieftain. If you are a smith, then the master smith is your boss. If you are a warrior, then the leader of the city guard is your boss. Your cult, under the leadership of its priest, is your boss as well. Most important, as always, is your family. Always listen to the family head.

But remember: No one can make you do anything.

> 3) Is the creation of a town a need to concentrate resources on
> manufacture in a certain place?

It could be. A town may also be placed on a strategic and/or secure location, as a place to gather in times of war. I suspect that many are placed adjacent to trade-routes. I doubt that the Sartarite towns grow much bigger than a few hundred inhabitants, when they grow they tend to split up into smaller units. It would work something like this:

"We settled here when your grandfather was young. Our people originally lived near Bonedale, but not everyone can mine the earth, so we decided to leave. Eight years ago Ketil Clodfoot left us with his family and settled near Bumblebee Brook, it was a good thing because there were already too many mouths to feed."

> 4) If No 3 is correct do you look to your guild here?

I don't think Heortlings adhere to the guild system.

> 5) Temples seem to be a second tier of authority seperate from
> kinship. Are towns one of those road side temple complexes mentioned
> in a post a couple of weeks ago?

I don't know. Perhaps.

> 6) With hero and religious bands wandering willy-nilly over the land
> do you get seasonal worker's bands?

I am convinced that this is correct. In my game, it is common for young men of the Aranwyth tribe to gain employment in other parts of Sartar during harvest. This takes the burden of supporting them off their clans, and is at the same time often welcome and cheap labour for the surrounding tribes.

Best Regards,
/Peter Nordstrand

Do You Yahoo!?