Re: BA towns

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 08:49:05 -0800

At 02:20 PM 2/15/2002 -0000, you wrote:
>With reqular "traditional" festivals you are presumably going to a
>have a few hundred people crossing the tula. How is the patrol going
>to deal with this? Are they going to do the traditional greeting on
>all of them?

Just the leader.
dispensations are allowed for market days and festivals, for certain classes of people at any time (royal heralds, silent winds) and many special cases (are in-laws kin enough to pass?) I do not expect that everyone does this. "Look, it Wolfie and his friends again. Good to see you blanket-man."
The requirements to "report in" this was is not something that everyone always has to do everywhere. Along roads and trails it is commonly ignored, or if guards are on duty then its a glance and a nod, if there is any exchange at all. But if the guards are watching, and they do want to check out someone (say, the five fully armed warriors with retinue who are striding manfully among the peasant crowd), then they do have an excuse to stop and speak to them, plus the magic of the challenge to help them along.

>Peter Nordstrand:
>>IN THE TOWNS
>>In my opinion, a town consisting of 100 -300 adults is not noticeably
>>different from any other stead. The most important feature, that
>separates
>>it from your average stead, is probably the marketplace
>
>Yes, I like this. So a town is a very big stead. Is this generaly the
>consensus or canon?

I agree. Settlements have a pattern they follow where villages are places that peddlers meet on set days (each Clayday, every third clayday, etc.), towns have a market every week, cities all the time.

>John Hughes:
>>Yep. And since chieftains change, and come from different steads and
>>bloodlines, over time close kin from a variety of places will
>establish
>>dwellings at the chief's stead.
>
>Trying not to over-labour the point, are any of these from outside
>the clan?

consider it this way: people from outside the clan are going to be someplace, and where else would they go except to where the most people are? To where the important people live, which is the clan chief's house.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>