Myths are not truth.

From: morganconrad <morganconrad_at_...>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 01:35:58 -0000

Peter writes: "The Orlanthi (like most other cultures) believe their myths are _the_ truth"

Sorry, absolutely wrong. The word "myth", by definition, means something untrue or not provable.

Maybe the Orlanthi "Myths" should actually be named and presented as Orlanthi "History". But they aren't. (at least in my impression)

I'm 99% with Garreth on this - knowing a culture's myths does not tell you its behavior. Everybody go read Elaine Pagel's fantastic "Adam, Eve and the Serpent" to see how the Western World's main myth has generated so incredibly many diverse meanings and interpretations. And almost nobody goes around not eating apples.