Re: [OpenHeroWars] Another pile of meandering, pointless, boring wank from Julian Lord

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_4F7Es1YBsbYQPeV5DhtNqlKr-5ldSgzphJaoYTDZSvpChK_16GsmQHHf4_n8nkg-0XbXim>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 19:36:41 +0200

Graham :

> Digest fodder. No one says you have to dissect anything. I've been
> very impressed with how little dissection has been going on in the
> recent Carmania thread. It seems to me to be *exactly* what you are
> describing, and is currently dominating the Digest.

The Carmanian thread is great, exactly the kind of thing the GD is fantastic at.

But it's **not at all** what I'm describing, or rather the problem I perceive, which is that there's a medium-level kind of immediate response discussion that some of us would like to engage in, and that neither GD nor HeroQuest-RPG promote.

It remains to be seen how many people will end up sharing my opinion.

> >OK, we've got this handy hole to dump our flame wars into,
> >but that's not enough IMO.
>
> The Digest is not a handy hole for dumping flame wars into.

<roll-eyes>

Graham : I meant **OpenHeroWars**.

**OpenHeroWars** is a handy hole to dump flame wars into, not the GD.

Case in point.

> >Anyway, Graham, I'm sorry if I offended you, but I must
> >admit to not being particularly impressed with your attitude
> >that no other MLs are permissible, no matter what anyone else
> >thinks about it or what kinds of discussions they want to
> >have with other members of the Tribe, Rules of the Road
> >notwithstanding.
>
> I ask you justify your effectively hijacking half the traffic to my
> mailing list, and you can't or won't. Sorry, not my attitude that
> needs an adjustment.

Not my intention.

In fact, I'd myself suggest taking certain threads to the GD if they got too involved in the esoterica.

> >"Take it to the GD" almost never works.
> >
> >I don't know why, and frankly I don't care.
>
> Because the threads are too dull to live? If they had any real
> interest, the participants would put up with the *very minor* effort
> needed to continue them.

I don't know the answer to why the crossover doesn't work, but I'm reasonably sure that's not it.

> >But it is a fact that certain threads are killed,
> >and certain forms of discussion are effectively verboten.
>
> Start the discussions in the right place to start with?

But Graham, some discussions have no right place !!

> >Nevertheless, certain kinds of discussion are
> >effectively ruled out in the current situation,
> >pious intentions notwithstanding.
>
> Again, start them in the right place, and no one will kill them off.

What is the right place for discussions effectively ruled out in the current situation ?

> >I've decided to see whether a new ML is the solution or not.
>
> Nope. It can only cause division and confusion. Take it to the
> HeroQuest Daily will work no better. Threads only work if started in
> the right place.
>
> >Having a great big flame war about it will, may I point out,
> >solve NOTHING. But something IMHO needs to
> >be solved.
>
> Then fucking well try to solve it.

That, Graham, is what I'm trying to do.

> Presenting a very poorly thought
> out fait acompli achieves nothing. If you want to make the Digest a
> more friendly area, we can have that discussion.

The discussion has been had several times already, and produced no tangible result.

> Splintering the
> community is purely destructive.

I'm not attempting to splinter anything Graham.

Atually, I'm attempting to invigorate dialogue between the GD and HeroQuest-RPG ends of the community.

cheers,

Julian