Re: [OpenHeroWars] Another pile of meandering, pointless, boring wank from Julian Lord

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_jr048P_b08DOJN8qbxxM0O0VMXxunfmFuBOgWwzey3nMQuJYX4zhZki1Gz2SrG4hsQA7H>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 12:19:36 +0100

> > >But Graham, some discussions have no right place !!
> >
> > Name one? Anything Gloranthan, has a home on the Glorantha Digest.
>
>This isn't a question of subject matter, it's an issue of depth.

Same question still applies. The Digest *is* the correct home for *all* gloranthan discussions. Even those that are *also* correctly at home on the HQ list.

>There have been several flame wars involving people posting
>to the wrong list, after which discussion slash bitching often took
>place (whether in public or by PM) about the relevance of
>the GD/ex-HeroWars set-up. Not just me.

Flame wars are not discussions...

>These discussions produced *no* results, except to make it
>perfectly 100% crystal clear that some threads don't belong on
>HeroQuest-RPG, definitely not, nope. And that people
>generally don't want to take them to the GD either.

The result of a normal progression of :

  1. Someone starts a topic on HQ.
  2. It begins or becomes something clearly unsuited to the HQ list.
  3. Someone suggests moving it to the Digest.
  4. [Optional] Part of the discussion moves to the digest, where it is ignored by the people who would rather carry out all discussions on the HQ list. Often the movement carries so little context with it that the people who are only on the Digest are left baffled.
  5. Someone complains that "I don't want this taken to the digest" normally for very poor reasons.
  6. Someone else carries on posting to the HQ list anyway.
  7. Repeat 3-6 as needed for everyone to become sick to the back teeth of the thread anyway,
  8. Thread dies.

If part 4 is replaced with "entire discussion moves swiftly to the Digest" the result is very different. cf "Rune metals for Storm" thread for an example.

Graham

--
Graham Robinson
graham_at_-ivQqqcBArcOg4bA4wtOnz9T0QdAQMKcgwFlyAldwfJAuSu9ylVovhG-GYrAp5BUqoGrcZ-fupVZaLFh4aY.yahoo.invalid

Albion Software Engineering Ltd.