Re: [OpenHeroQuest] THE Digest

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_smigIM-hDtAhDKYiDJg1nqaqbbM6D8MCn6njv-aajWktS23ll-NbYAFPShP-UaDZqV_U>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 19:03:37 +1000

I also took 'the Trilogy' to mean the
cheesy-and-likeable-science-fantasy-movie-with chutzpah, the
better-one-with-wompahs-and-another-director, and the
omigod-how-could-the-bastard-sell-us-out-like-this-every-scene-a-plastic-toy
-tie-in-die-ewok-die-extravaganza.

When *I* think of 'the' trilogy, I think of the first three Dune novels. That may date me... Still much quoted in my rping group though.

A Tolkein trilogy? Hobbit-LOTR-Silmarillion, surely? Was LOTR first published as 3 separate books? I guess so, but no one of our generation thought of LOTR as a trilogy till the movies.

Besides, what could ever surpass the jewelled perfection of RQ2/COP/COT? I wuz young. I had the dice. I had *the time*....

JohnBruce

.

I'd have to interpret "The Trilogy" as Professor Tolkien's opus, not Star Wars, myself, having originally read it in 1977, before Star Wars was more than a single movie of that title. I must admit some surprise that any science fiction or fantasy fan wouldn't get that reference, but hey, I'm old and clueless.

Guy "and I have the original 3 D&D books too" Hoyle

On 5/20/2003 at 7:50 AM Julian Lord wrote:

>Roderick :
>
>> > I have no idea what you mean by "The Trilogy". Never
>> > heard the reference used in any context that I know
>> > of.
>>
>> My dear, not a Tolkien Fan?
>
>FWIW, over here in the land of monsieur Véto,
>"La Trilogie" generally refers to Star Wars ;
>yes, even in post-AOTC-speak ...
>
>Julian Lord

>OpenHeroQuest-unsubscribe_at_yahoogroups.com

Always choose the option that'll most likely blow up in your own face. You never know when a tribe of werebears is going to want to skin you alive, for instance. Those are the Munchausenesque moments you can brag about over beer for years.

Of course, sometimes you get bitten by vampires infected with bubonic plague, but on the whole, you have a great time.

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: OpenHeroQuest-unsubscribe_at_yahoogroups.com