Re: [OpenHeroQuest] Rant number 1, 2 & 3

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_cujwQZGqrPH-s8wmsJnQRb5fOIvllLdIMSv3O5l7AYbsNiTuIyxEUS1QKbf8k6TH3RXG>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 14:44:25 -0500

orlanthumathi wrote:

>Just discovered this particular list and thought I would air some
>opinions about various forums.

Good place for it. Just remember to work in duck-wanking and yurts once in awhile and you'll fit right in.

>Why, when you express an opinion that slightly criticises the official
>rules or long established Gloranthan beliefs do so many people feel
>the need to rush to their defence and silence the criticism? I
>understand those involved with the publications doing so but others
>appear to just want to be on the "side of right".

1) Burning heretics is fun. 2) Rooting for the home team is fun. 3) Maybe the publishers are right sometimes.

>Why do so many people answering queries on rules or style assume that
>the questioner is a novice GM?

Why not? Assuming they're an experienced GM is the only alternative, and that's not as helpful to as many people. If the one who asked the question isn't experienced, the question won't be meaningful to him, and besides, other readers may be novices and can learn something.

>Why does the digest have to remain on such an antiquated system, is
>old and cranky somehow more elitist?

Ask the Digest owner.

>Why does everyone persist on quoting heavily, thereby making threads
>unreadable when you look back?

Ask the Digest owner.

>Why does HQ-rpg have to have such a narrow and limited outlook these
>days, with all this "don't scare away the newbies" crap?

It was designed to be useful mainly to the newbies, who are vital if HeroQuest and Glorantha is to survive and grow. Constantly referring to hard-to-get OOP publications and talking about esoterica that even hardened Glorantha vets barely understand just confuses and frustrates them. If they want to delve into such things, the Digest is a much better place for discussion.

>Please feel free to blast these opinions to pieces, I know the
>flip-sides to most of them them but I had to get them off my chest.

OK.
Guy (Hoyle)