Re: Rant number 1, 2 & 3

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_Jue403euNXhaPqDO_bHFqh4tArks8msOi5eyH-WkJdA6e-DFSiTU5OPoXqo8neMlu_>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 13:45:07 -0000

I do what I can, Jane. Eventually, the buck has to stop somewhere and I'm the guy who volunteered - something I have mixed feelings about at times.

> Random thought: it occurred to me the other day that
> I've always assumed a lot of the stuff on the Digest
> that I don't understand, it's just because I'm thick
> or badly educated. By the standards of other Digest
> contributors, this is probably true: there are plenty
> of people out there more intelligent and better-read
> than I am, and I love watching them in action. But...
> hang on a minute. Compared to the average punter in
> the street? Programmer, MENSA, Cambridge degree,
> several thousand books around the house, not all of
> them in English... "thick", and can't keep up because
> of it? Just what standards are we accepting as
> "normal" here?

True. I find that the digest-esque discussions are often far too nitpicky and esoteric to follow without a stack of reference works.

...or digress into social or political debate.

And no, I can't understand TI's posts either. And a friend says they are just as bad in the orginal lanugage.

Jeff