Re: The 'Point' of OHQ

From: Jimbruce <nysalor_at_TYZJkH0UiZDgX1q6oWjGeroQtiXuI95X9DyGeo3ClNrqJER8wz3VWG3GkmpIsLiHjHdP>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 01:02:04 -0000

I'm just back in town, and haven't been able to scan more than the bare essentials of the last week or so's vigorous discussion.

Cuppla points:

  1. A free zone is a free zone. OHQ was set up for the good, the bad, and the ugly, the non-PC, the obscene, the hurt, the hating, and the indignant, as well as the social, the convivial and the pleasurable. Apart from the sheer joy of bastardry, it acts as a pressure valve to help keep the mainstream HQ lists more civil. Without getting all Voltaire-ish (he was French after all, and probably beat his ducks), if the list displeases then please see point 3.
  2. I think it has worked. The list is usually entertaining, occasionally hilarous, and often positive. The bile content has lessened considerably in the last 12 months (a positive witness to the effects of spell checking and decent layout on the temper of your reading and gaming audience). The Evil Empire debate has been instructive, if only as a reminder we inhabit different thought worlds.
  3. Kill files are wonderful things. You can painlessly trash discussions, individuals, or even an entire list for a week or so. My own Gloranthan entertainment has been made immeasurably more pleasurable by the use of kill files and filters. Cut out the crap and the crapulent.

I enjoy this group because it reveals posters as real people (those of us that are real people to start with, anyway). Warts come with the package. There will always be something to offend, though our most recent immoderator is a bit of a wus, relatively speaking. :) Why back in the Boatright days...

Up yours, etc.

John