Re: Swig low...

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_TQ8B2cSkUWWl9sS7njjKOFO2zUlY8OQ40WXGjMEXjIXE7_7Whl1PZpwJdqk6j>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:44:29 -0000

David:
> Rubbishing any countries mass market beer to
> local drinkers generally just gets a "huh, you think we drink that
> crap?" reaction.

On the Belgian side of my family, my great uncle gave me sterling advice when he told us that a common colloquial term for Stella Artois was 'Gnats' Piss'.

In Heortling games, my beer of choice used to be Theakston's OP. Excellent head for beard-drenching quaffing action. Since then we've sadly become more refined, and settled for the excellently golden Deuchars IPA.

[though we of course gave Batemans Dark Lord--not the American stout-- a go when we first saw it...]

With 8 bottles of many good real ales for a tenner at most easily reachable supermarkets these days, you can't go wrong. The only problem is getting anything from Lancashire--even on local tap. The last time I saw Pendle Witches* anywhere involved earth, dinosaurs and walking in some combination.

[*which people often object to on it being from Burnley, anyway...]