Re: Beer

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_zasfzqcGytAPxVG16UOkSV_Pq8sH1VsgdRwk5YovQp5Rygw1riR5odJjrwuYB>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 12:50:49 -0000

> What's the difference between a beer and a lager, please?

"Beer": generic term encompassing bitter, stout, ale, lager, the strange Belgian things, and no doubt many more. Well, some people would claim that only bitter counts as beer and lager is only drunk by quiche-eaters, but then maybe they've only tasted English lager.

I'm not sure of the exact definition of lager, but it's the pale clear drink that's best served chilled. Most of the other drinks on that list aren't see-through.

Google may provide, here...

Websters:
Originally a German beer, but now also made in immense quantities in the United States; -- so called from its being laid up or stored for some months before use.

Which doesn't tell us a lot :(

I'd guess that the proportion of hops, malt, etc comes in there somewhere, but I plead ignorance in this matter. I just drink it :)