Re: differences between beer and lager

From: rjmeints_at_a7qgu3ItBVgUCBRGjBEhXBmkJq_HD9Fs70pO0TJx3OdE2ZM-uC9nBojUs9AQvhlsj3D
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 16:17:17 -0500

As a homebrewer, beer drinker, and know-it-all, I offer the following:

Lager refers to a specific brewing style that uses a hybrid yeast. The process is creatively referred to as "lagering". It is a process where the fermentation takes place at the bottom of the liquid, as opposed to the top. Fermentation also takes place at much lower temperatures than older methods. Lager is mostly a product of modern technology and science.

Beer is a more generic term. It basically refers to a beverage made from barley grain, yeast, water and hops, if you take the Rheinheitsgebot (German beer purity law) as canononical. Beer types include ales, stouts, porters, lagers etc.

All lagers are beers, but not all beers are lagers.

As for those that have been blasting those of us that drink beer instead of wine, etc. I say "get over it". Usually the greatest number of casualties from a night's drinking are the imbibers of liquor or wine or whatever Dan Fahey has in his bottle of "mystery drink".

As for various local brews, like efes, tusker, etc. I am a firm believer that they are all just bud light in disguise.