Re: [OpenHeroQuest] A Second Religious/Mythological Influence

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_-qM-ekElvrkni3ZDEGyfIkvMMX5LFfMce7M9cr7qyikFGZEGF1IaU7V1mXAup6gUqwad.y>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 20:39:51 +0100

John :

> Glorantha is definitely a Jungian universe.

You wag, you !

;-)

The Hero Planes are definitely Jungian, IMO, but the Sorcery World IMO certainly isn't ; the Spirit Plane is similar to different to what I know about Eliade's model (which suffers, as far as I can tell, from a fair amount of Old European intellectual arrogance) ; the God World surely is ; and the transcendental plane can be seen to be (the 'is' word is too strong, here) almost purely Campbellian in its implicit catholicism.

> I'd be interested if others think the same, so I'm putting this second
> person's name way way down below.

<snip> (I guessed)

> Mircea Eliade - especially his ideas of the sacred and profane, the eternal
> return, chaos and order, microcosm and macrocosm, and his elaborations of
> shamanism as an an archaic technique of ecstasy.

At the very least, Mircea Eliade is influencing Glorantha via Steve Martin.

Who dislikes Campbell. As I do, apart from the fact that he is an EXCELLENT initiator. One of our Seven Evil Uncles ... :-)

Julian Lord,
who is delighted to have **finally** seen long-form FOTR in a digital theatre, as it most certainly deserves ...

Very much looking forward to next week !!

--
"Hmmm, I've heard of other powers.

... Real Life ?"