Re: [OpenHeroQuest] Re: Impregnate my giant beaver!

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_aZ83oUONjo301QwBtBS6EAJSlfTzLIyIxN3adRQsMU8G2Y-quCOuojqG5hhW5S9zT6Z>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 00:50:24 +1300

At 11:15 AM 1/22/04 +0000, you wrote:

> >You thought wrong. Why is it an inappropriate name for a
> >ship?

>If you can't see why the death of 30,000 people in another country could be
>seen as an inappropriate event to mark by naming a ship, I don't think I
>can explain it to you.

The Russians also have a ship called the October Revolution, in which a number of people died. They are both named to commemorate the victims who died (supposedly) for their cause.

Besides the French have returned the favour with a Paris tube station called Stalingrad along with Wagram (outside Vienna) and the Pyramidies (in Egypt). In this vein, London has Trafalgar Square and Waterloo station not to mention the quaintly named Imperial War Museum while there's a small town of Blenheim in New Zealand,

So I really can't see the inappropriateness of a ship called the Paris Commune.

--Peter Metcalfe