Re: [OpenHeroQuest] Re: Vadeli Pun Feast

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_emb0yGZvAzjbZd6D7xi4VvjVuwwq-9rBPhW0Q7j_nBlZZFgcFHD2aInps2e5Bf6IYmT>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:45:11 +1300

Joerg:

> > Out of curiosity which puns were the best and which were the worst?

>Let me say most intense:
>The admirals for Vice and Rear certainly beat other established,
>notorious puns like Lur Nop (Lop Nur - atomic testing environment) and
> the Loskalmi Cardinals of North-, South- etc.-point, and come
>dangerously close to Nochet and Corflu.

I feel ashamed to point out that the obvious implication of "The Rear Admirals were initially notorious for attacking their enemy's rear [...]" slipped right by me during writing. I actually intended them to be notorious for appearing behind the enemy on the battlefield.

>Apart from the pun value: Did you intend Admiral as a naval rank, or
>is this closer to Arabian "amir" (prince, lord, basically the root for
>European Admiral)?

I'm inclined to say both. The Vadeli claim they invented it and everybody else say they didn't. Most Vadeli admirals are naval but a few aren't.

--Peter Metcalfe