Re: From HQrules list

From: Nils Weinander <nils_at_MN156x_VO8D059bqCsiWrRMRe8vh0TbUSGjzOqcBqC8_w9xMrc1T1YoNZCHmGWt9lv4KzK0>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:55:29 +0100

Julian:

>>Claiming that
>>there is tacit consent is a cowardly way of sneaking
>>out of the responsibility to oppose totalitarian rulers,
>>regardless of their -ism.

> It may have been better expressed in reverse :
> there is no political power withouth the consent, implicit or explicit,
> of the people.

Rubbish. Equating forced submission to overwhelming violent force with tacit consent is a fallacy, and an insult to the oppressed.

You can make a case that a totalitarian (fascist, communist, whatever-ist) regime has the tacit consent of the people of their own country and it _may_ be true (usually not though), but when said regime crosses the border and occupies the neighbour, the people their don't give their consent, openly or tacitly.

>>>Democracy isn't necessarily the best system
>>>for one and all.
>>
>>The challenge then is for you to name one case where a
>>non-democratic government is better.

> Theocracy. Vatican.
>
> Venice during the Renaissance.
>
> et cetera ad nauseam ...

And now tell us why democracy wouldn't work/have worked as well or better.

Nils Weinander
We sail on a ship made of dreams