Re: [OpenHeroQuest] Re-tread crappola

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_ysn8Vq7LlpnOveG-rJ4hucXaItPo9pTbjlfP6tpQWHUON5tuk4x2T9hRhy7kDz-i7odmDA>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:09:16 +0100

Jane :

> > (re. James Bond books and their reflection of real
> > life)

> > Suddenly, JB-type evil geniuses in secret
> underground
> > hide-outs plotting the death of the civilised world
> > became headline news ; not outrageous fantasy
> > characters.
>
> er, hadn't that already happened in WWII? And to a
> lesser extent in N Ireland? And in the first Gulf War?
> And no doubt in many other places and times I'm not
> aware of?

Not IMO.

As far as WWII is concerned, for example, the secret underground hideout of the Evil Leader was a hole in the ground, not Dr. Evil's Secret HQ (tm).

Similarly, Saddam's own hole in the ground.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong about all this !

Does anyone have any interesting RW Evil Genius stories for our edification ?

> > > than
> > > didn't,
> >
> > didn't what ?
>
> Didn't change.

Right : In that case I'm saying that reality changed around the books, so that they suddenly became far more pertinent to the new 21C realities.

> > individuals to be brutal didn't.
> >
> > why, who to, and what didn't it do ?
>
> what it didn't do: It didn't change. It just
> continued.

Actually, I think it did : I think that there's a general radicalization of all political régimes everywhere.

> "why": not sure I understand your question.

why "it" didn't "blip".

blip = change

So, why didn't these things change ?

> You were suggesting that *something* had changed. As
> far as I can see, everything involved just continued
> as before.

You're lucky to have a secure salaried job, probably.

The world economy entered into a massive state of crisis as a direct result of the destruction of the WTC by the Evil Genius.

Also, Britain has until now been relatively unaffected by the wave of political radicalization that's sweeping the world.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding again ?
Why do you believe that nothing has changed since 9/11 ?

<ramble>

> Different people think different ways, quite apart
> from the gender gap. (And the gender gap is between
> "typical" males and females. I'm not convinced that
> anyone on this list is "typical" of anything. "Boring"
> and "normal" is NOT what we do!)

I've a fascinating newspaper article saying that the ratio for male vs female genetic mutation is massively towards the male end of the scale.

A scientific explanation of why most Gloranthaphile weirdoes and RPG enthusiast weirdoes are male ?

The article also suggests that 20% of
men think like women, whereas only 10% of women think like men.

Anyway, the information struck me as being directly relevant to the Greggly 85/15 normality/weirdness ratio.

</ramble>

> > > Though this
> > > is after a beer and a curry and a long day,
> >
> > Hope you enjoyed them, and that the length wasn't
> > that bad ... :-)
>
> I did, and it wasn't, but my ability to communicate
> coherently has probably been down-graded nonetheless.

Me too, and I blame last night's spaghetti dinner and bad red wine.

Julian

--
"Hmmm, I've heard of other powers.

... Real Life ?"