Re: [OpenHeroQuest] Re: Male vs. female mutation and gender differences

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_kJYhJcPlUGVpPhouGaxmacUlJ92BQN1UiCNbzef8fLdjSkAZEAHCdem-JVGcJP-Q8W1fXl>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 22:59:22 +0100

Graeme :

> > In genetic terms, women (I'll avoid the unpleasant
> > but more correct word "females") attempt to produce
> > clones of themselves, whereas men ("males") attempt,
> > via the DNA contained in their spermatazoa, to take
> > control (via mutation) of the generative process so as
> > to induce reproduction of their own unique qualities.
>
> Well, I don't know where you learned your Genetics, Julian, but that
> is the biggest load of... errr.. "ovaries" I've heard since the
> latest claim of successfully cloning a human.

This is a new, and highly polemic, theory.

By a guy called Serge Ginger, if you can believe in a name like that ...

And generally rejected by geneticists to boot ...

Funnily enough, lots of what he says vindicates some of Greg's ideas ; yep, like the Heortlings, men are more emotional than women, women more rational than men. Accoirding to him, women appear more emotional because they have less experience of dealing with testosterone ... Male and female eyesight works differently, so that men focus on salient details whereas women take in everything at a glance. Women are better at using speech, whereas men are better at taking action. Men have better (ie more efficient) eyesight than women, but women beat the men in the other four senses, particularly hearing, twice as good as men's, including greater width and depth. Women can hear things that men can't. Sense of smell can be up to 100 times more efficient, depending on the menstrual cycle. Her sense of touch relies on subcutaneous sensors which are, here and there, ten times more numerous than men's in the same places.

OTOH men have one basic advantage over women : testosterone.

Men are stronger, faster, more aggressive, have far better hand-to-eye coordination, greater endurance, heal faster, see farther and with teleobjective sight, have better perception of their position in space ; all from testosterone.

> It's all quite a bit
> more complicated than that. Oh and females mutate too.

Females mutate too, yep.

But males have a tendency to mutate, according to this guy, whereas women have a tendency not to.

Poor old Chris Claremont.

It's far more complicated than this for several reasons, most of which I can only admit to being ignorant of, although the fact that a womb can hardly be described as "ideal lab conditions" mightt have something to do with it.

Julian

--
"Hmmm, I've heard of other powers.

... Real Life ?"