Re: Kill Bill

From: reinierd <reinierd_at_ZFAVFll0kHsuJapcVHP-MsSXyTXNwle6Lskf2fbhz_QlXhckPviZllstwckxAdWJIgr>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 05:44:00 -0000

OK, I can see how that appeals if you're a fanboy. (and I have my fanboy topics too so this is not meant as I'm-better-than-you) But referencing other films is not good enough; KB has to stand on its own feet as well.
[more snipped]
Thanks for the links. Now I can do some homework!

> Like most Tarantino films, you have to appreciate it on one
> level as a film about parts of pop culture colliding with rawer
> depictions of the same themes.

This is the part that disappointed me. Where was the irony? The humor? About the only funny moment was when you see Uma in the plane with her sword across her lap. After 9-11. ... OK, there were a few other moments, yes, but they were weak - certainly compared to Pulp Fiction.

Meanwhile, the action. No one fights like this; Uma looked pathetic holding a sword. And how could you possibly accept a Hattori Hanzo sword and say "Doomo"?! I can't even think of an English analogue for how lame and rude that is. Couldn't he have done even a *little* homework? Now if you're a fan of cinematic martial arts, OK; it looks good on screen. But if you like to think of yourself as a purist then it's really disappointing.

I also found the violence leeringly graphic rather than camp or ironic. Where was the gritty honesty of Reservoir Dogs? Tarantino is a master at depicting pain, but when combined with splatter-ethic gore his message becomes deeply co-opted. Never mind his pickup of the teen girl rape victim/killer stuff. He's not exactly drawing on the best parts of Japanese pop culture.

OK, I got that out of my system. I'm listening, and willing to be converted. Maybe I had a Bad Irony day? I don't know.