Re: Last Samurai

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_m9WygecRaG3LyOufyqzUbew1Ml0HE2BVbMBB1MQm-YECIHQiuM2dG-F9ZBAwBgGfvF6JBV>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:35:58 -0000

John writes:
> I'm still out on the movie's moral core. I found it confused,
primarily
> because of the East meets West clash of values, and the selective
> appropriation of these values by Nathan. Cruise lacks the gravitas
to carry
> much of the deeper stuff, though they may be there bubbling
beneath the
> surface. What's the message to the American audience, given the
recent
> warfare in Iraq and Afghanistan? Does the film reflect any of
that? Frankly,
> I've no idea, but its got me thinking.
>
> Oh God, they're making 'Troy'. Do I have a bad feeling about this?

Might be good, might suck. I loved the "Age of Bronze" comix.

As for the big "meaning" of the revival of "epic" films (most of which having a war or military theme to them) this is something that comes and goes. There were lots of great epic films in the 50s and 60s (Spartacus, Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge Too Far, Longest Day, etc.). The epic went away after the early 70s (Patton being the last one I can think of) and came back - thanks to computer generated imagery - in the mid-90s.

It is really hard to come up with big cultural trends in America based upon what movies are being produced. Personally, I think there has always been a big demand for epic, military-themed movies in the States. Hollywood has just rediscovered that market.