Re: [OpenHeroQuest] Re: peeks his head up- film -merlin

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_-hY7eUplg7reOesdsREFS1tOStpDCTJ9dfOFA25NWxC6N_fy050iLEjQdmOw42D-k0X>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 23:29:41 +1300

At 09:17 AM 3/12/04 +0000, you wrote:

>So after the lord of the rings has established this fantasy genre...
>Where do we go from here??
>What books/graphic novel would make a good film eh?

Dante's Inferno, Part I of the original and best trilogy. I suppose Purgatio and Paradiso could be filmed by they would have to be heavily sexed up. Still if Mel Gibson is able to film the Son of God as being a superhero capable of taking five thousand hit points of damage before expiring, I don't anticipate too much problems from Christians.

Stormbringer. None of the wussy Elric of the later novels but the original Elric as a complete and utter bastard who has no qualms about siccing Arioch on anybody who gets in his way. Corum is a bit of a wimp while Hawkmoon is rather dated.

Lucian's True History should be interesting - Ancients go to Outer Space! (some of it was pillaged for Terry Gilliam's The Adventures of Baron Munchausen).

Petronius Arbiter's The Satyricon might be doable but someone would have to be imaginative to fill in the missing bits. Considering the level of scriptwriting that passes for hollywood (where the adaptions of LoTR receives an oscar - I'm not holding my breath).

--Peter Metcalfe