Re: [HeroQuest-RPG] Bummer

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_c7_fRS2eyPFIS6phmL8oNLK3A-KPpETJ_aT0uQypN6PrKk4eogw4-UAAkOmAi>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 14:37:23 -0000

Moah:
> ... I don't see any redeeming
> feature to the d20 system. It comes from another age, and doesn't
> promote any form of roleplaying, but more diablo hack&slash than
any-
> thing else.

As someone who is trying out running Mongoose's OGL CONAN rpg tonight, I wouldn't wish for anything else! Who needs erudite exposition when you're standing 'thew deep in gore' or crushing a dusky-skinned wench with your 'fierce love' (now look here, those are REH's words, not mine...).

But seriously there are a couple of alterations that would probably make it a little more palatable in your view... Indeed, there are many CONAN-specific tidbits which are great fun. Nevertheless, it was a huge shock approaching it from the HeroQuest view of things, not least of all with respect to the relative lack of flexibility and number of context-specific rules in d20.

It also triggered the first 'high spam count' [***SPAM***] message on my freeserve mail that I've ever received, courtesy of a post of character descriptions to a rpg Smartgroup. Note to self: next time, go easy on the 'ivory bosoms'.

Cheerio,

Stu.