Re: Troyboys and Buff Men in Leather Mini-Skirts

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_wR6f5qcDEYZdypSmvAmr54923ueRRU0XXmfV8nfV4tasgFk2ODN9ybII_vGDUdmJNRLnM>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 07:40:37 -0700

I haven't been able to get to it yet, but don't have really high expectations for it, after reading some mail-list reviews... Pity. On the other hand, Van helsin didn't quite stink on ice, but was way over the top - not as subtle as the Mummy (!). And we managed to get not one, but TWO Crash-and-exploding horse-drawn coaches. This is very much a Flick. And don't get me started on how many problems there are with the stories...

> For some strange reason, the potential of buff men in leather mini skirts
> has never really been exploited by the Gloranthan commuity, despite the
fact
> we're pretty much overrun by them. 'Powered by slash' may take on an
entire
> new meaning, and a new demographic. And Troy may mean a resurgence in the
> Old Pavis/Citadel adventurer style of hoplon and short sword. In the 3d
> community, its suddenly easier to get hoplite- themed models, after three
> years being overun by archers with pointy ears.

Well, in the Toy Soldiers/Miniatures arena, there have always been "Classic Greek" Hoplite minis available, and several companies offer Trojan War-era minis, including the extreme Dendra (not to be confused with the Gloranthan Goddess Dendara) armor (imagine taking several 55 gallon drums and using them as armor:
http://www.beloit.edu/~classics/Trojan%20War%20Site/Web%20Site/Archaeology%20Pages/Dendra_Armor_Larger.htm.

RR
- Richelieu