Re: LotR - sigh

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_mjltEl4IkbxmEIs4akG_dl4PwbgfWbLIXkHmP6PAzNW2oyK2J8sZtwOzIAvAbqStg4wZ4mH>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 22:20:37 -0000

We're on-off-topic, here, so:

>> I object to a group of people that claim to be "true to the
>> original", who then *add* irrelevant scenes...

> I'm mostly with Rory on this one.

Me too. I accept that some things will be missed out. I get annoyed when I see what was inserted in their place.

>> Hobbits in Osgiliath?

> I like this particular change.

It probably made sound narrative sense for the films' audience. (The Hobbits meet Faramir, and he escorts them *here*; in the next movie they go *this* way and he goes *that* way). Otherwise, the hobbits leave Faramir in the middle of Ithilien, and in the next movie he's on the doorstep of Minas Tirith... eh?

Having Osgiliath clearly visible from Minas Tirith, and having it serving as a linch-pin of the assault, helped immensely. So did the (again, arguably unnecessary) light show when the Witch King's army marched from Minas Morgul -- it all helps pin down the geography.

>> Warg Attack?

> Ugly cinematography, but well-intentioned.

Made up for the missing Warg attack on the road to Moria.

And what happened to Legolas shooting down a flying Black Rider above the Anduin, near the end of FotR? Seems that for every time PJ inserted an 'unnecessary' fight scene, he'd cut one somewhere else. At which point the arguments re: dramatic/filmic pacing make rather more sense to me...

>> For this shit we lost the Faramir-Eowyn romance?

> Still waiting for RotK:EE ...

Zigackerly. Why assume the Peasants' Edition is showing you everything, when we know that it isn't?

NB: amusement from the RotK Art book: some of the film's designers/ creators/ artists rabbiting on about their favourite bits of RotK (Gandalf confronting the Witch King; the statue at the crossroads) which appear nowhere in the theatrical cut... :-(

>> We had to make do with Theoden at Helm's Deep instead of Eomer?

> hm-hm

Yeah, but for that we got to have *Eomer* turning up at Helm's Deep instead of Erkenbrand. ("Erken-who?" -- Exactly!).

A lot of second-string unnecessary folk got cut. I don't miss the sons of Elrond at all - their dad could cover for them. I do kinda miss Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth, but let's be frank: what would there be for him to do?

>> Sorry, but I am *not* the biggest PJ fan. He screwed around
>> with the source material while loudly proclaiming his
>> "authenticity".

> Me neither, although he did get his FotR:EE and T2T:short versiuon > right, IMO.

I think the EEs are superb -- flawed, but superb -- and I certainly won't judge RotK until I see the "real" version.

Cheers, Nick