[ClosedHeroQuest] Re: LotR - sigh

From: David Cake <dave_at_-imVMBVOhYVTtWTYH9P9Ci94ZZTsDvMFXgp6gUW0PHMUXkxsmrvB1nvKDBWnAsonP1BoF1y>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 11:06:59 +0800

>We're on-off-topic, here, so:
>
>>> I object to a group of people that claim to be "true to the
>>> original", who then *add* irrelevant scenes...
>
>> I'm mostly with Rory on this one.
>
>Me too. I accept that some things will be missed out. I get annoyed
>when I see what was inserted in their place.

        I just feel it was a lot truer to the original (and in particular in the visuals) than we had any right to expect from a major studio adaptation.

        I do think most of the changes made to the characters/story were for understandable reasons of pacing and movie storytelling. Not that I'm willing to go through and defend them one by one, and I found a few of them dubious myself, but on the whole I found the changes understandable and thought they produced better films than a more rigorous adaptation would have.

        In particular, Roderick seems particularly annoyed that Arwen got to, you know, do anything at all before turning up and marrying Aragorn at the end.

>I think the EEs are superb -- flawed, but superb -- and I certainly
>won't judge RotK until I see the "real" version.

	Me too. And a lot less flawed than anyone had a right to expect.
	And a rigorously authentic version would have made for worse
films, IMO.
	Cheers
		David