Understanding English

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_VF1pM1ACQ1Ayp9xXh8qa_gIn-JIaoXSPT4eV36Mg6VErSMW-K5RuylbHZcYW4KVq>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 09:28:49 -0700 (PDT)

Peter replied to some poor sod:

> >Instead the book says:
> >
> >"Selfrock teaching is a widespread way..."
> >
> >See how that reads ambiguously?

> It doesn't. No other methods are ruled out by
> it and the indefinite article indicates that
> there are other methods. And if you are going
> to complain about not being able to understand
> what other people write, then perhaps you should
> look to your own first.

Ah, Peter, don't come down too hard on him. He's just adapted to the fact the most people can no longer write unambiguous English. (E.g., the distressingly common "and/or" which I insist on reading aloud to my business people as "and per or".)

Plus, American schools pretty much stopped teaching formal grammar in the 70's, with the result that he may not know what an indefinite article is. :-(

Chris Lemens

Do you Yahoo!?
Friends. Fun. Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger. http://messenger.yahoo.com/