Re: [ClosedHeroQuest] Re: New URL for HQ Greece wiki

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_Ml_k8rwOA1jCTJuE0uY_RmojGdNZC1GQB7eC3Ef4XhLdrhGiE84lJu-lmhYarQszCCoL>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:33:12 -0500

sam.elliot1_at_3OSm-PheRVb4hdN4JsNC0vQZYyfa_NDkIEHoIMxQRa1nN4jRpQ-vJqHum8MEmOnRLfnoWSoQFowgahF_RDTEZ3Fu.yahoo.invalid wrote:

> Guy - looks interesting. I subscribed so I can lurk. I do have a
> couple of comments...why not use the magic types as in HQ, just make
> animism and sorcery much much rarer, while theism is rarer?

Sam, thanks for the comments. I'm just not sure that Sorcery and Animism really feel much like Ancient Greek religion to me, nor does Theism as it is in HQ. The heroes of Greek myth typically got their powers either through the blood of the gods in their veins, or as a gift from a favorite god; there may have been a few exceptions but I don't recall any right off hand. Joining a cult to get affinities and feats doesn't really model this, at least to me.

> Also,
> shirley sacrifice is a way to tap into the gods' magic.

It's a way to ask for favors from the gods, yes, but the gods are still doing the work. We do need to address sacrifices and divine intervention at some point, though.

> Similarly,
> your hero's worship skills, relationship to temple, etc, could be
> the prime skills to get juju from the gods. Make common magic more
> powerful?

To me, "common magic" in its concentrated form is more like what witches like Circe and Medea have. They can use it actively or passively. It usually requires rituals and sacrifices and paraphernalia.

Thanks for getting things going again! Please keep writing.

Guy