Re: All over the Place really...

From: Jeff Kyer <jakyer_at_AQbZk7BPq-fXO_TEwjpDxs7yHPdj9SOG8YaozjcLx45Mt9Mp2xEK7Rqt1hWFAS-y6D4ao>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 08:31:42 -0400

> >> Finland in winter is usually colder than the Far Place, but the
> >> darkness from Far Point cloud cover is a point to your favour.
>
> > Let's face it, Finland in winter is usually colder than just about
> > anywhere -wondering if the Canuks on the list will get all
> > defensive. :)

Depends on what part of Soviet Canuckistan they are from. Winnipeg has pretty nasty winters. Toronto... not so much these days. Something about 5 million beer drinking Canucks affecting the local climate.

> Do you mean those softies living as "far north" as London or Paris?
> Bacharach is as far north as Montreal, for instance.

It doesn't get to -40 C in Bacharach for 3-4 weeks of the year. Pussies.

> After some exposure to neolithic landscape just this weekend (visited
> an archaeological center near some megalith barrows where the
> landscape is allowed to revert to neolithic forms), I say that some
> vines are a must for the "enchanted" parts of the forests. Those, and
> farns dripping in the constant rain...

Cool. This is my summer (or is that Sumer?) job next year: http://212.174.26.236/goksu/ The Göksu Archaeological Project is an archaeological survey located in a remote area of the Taurus Mountains of southern Turkey, between the modern cities of Mut and Karaman.

This year we stumbled over a 20 HA site - possibly a major Hittite centre.

Jeff

--
Flight to Peru - £1000
Camping gear - £200

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.