The Vision Thing: Perrenial Questions and Inconsistent Answers

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_FVRz-_j4mmSrztudmGPMapt834OE6itcWBEwUOLoTdLluvIRbUrjW_TxqcA2PZJSZsnd>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 15:36:23 +1000

Jumping from a topic on the HQ list, what are some of the perennial Gloranthan questions/mysteries/inscrutables that return to haunt us, either because there is no clear answer, because the answer has changed, or because the answer hasn't changed but there are two of them anyway.? And most certainly **not** restricted just to Greg and II....

Any creative enterprise engaging a multitude of minds separated across time and space will always be rife with contradiction. All in all, we do pretty well. 'YGMV' is both a game necessity and a powerful tool in co-creating our shared universe.

That doesn't mean we can't laugh about the contradictions. And fix at least *some* of the bits. :)

Perhaps some initial categories in our quest...

  1. We never thought this one through.

Time, calendars, and seasons for a start.

2. Its a Mystery.

Tawdry fetishisation of the GL secret aside (it doesn't work anymore guys), some things just shouldn't be known. But we all know about the gamer mentality. A pity, because for me this can be one of Glorantha's biggest charms.

3. Sources aren't meant to be perfect.

Also a potential charmer. Argrath - just brilliant. The entire 'Y' word thingee (the god that dare not speak his name) - well opinions vary for this one. When done properly, this is an invitation to imagination. When done badly, its a load of rancid ferret's kidneys.

4. Its answered in 'X'.

Except 'X' was published in 1983. And never reprinted.

II does a great job with old materials through its website. But this can be a pain, especially for new players and GMs.

5. 'It's a RuneQuest/HW/HQ artifact, and not really part of Glorantha'.

An ever-changing, catch all category this one. *Sometimes* justified. Where's battle/common magic this week?

6. 'I changed my mind'

Apparently this is a valid legal defence in California, and valid philosophising in France. While it can be invigorating, it can also be troubling, depending on how G-literate you or your players are. Or how many iron weapons your party has.

A persistent subcategory here is, 'Analogues aren't', 'Analogues change', and 'Soviet Russia was always a stoopid idea anyway'.

And another, 'we all soak up new influences', which may explain the sudden and unexpected tanning of the Heortlings announced in early 2004.

7. Rabid Fan Press Overload.

Self explanatory really. The bastards.

8. Other.

'I forgot' is a bigger one that any of us probably care to admit. What, you think I get paid for this?

Also includes, 'it wasn't in the index', 'there is no index', 'the proofreader was drunk', 'we ran out of time', 'there are certain states of consciousness in which a grotaron makes perfect sense', 'I was at a con, I had to answer', 'it seemed like a good idea at the time', 'wow this German beer is strong', 'I'm sure it makes perfect sense in Japanese', 'I know *exactly* what *I* mean by mysticism', and the perennial 'twelve column centimetres spare and its due at the printer at dawn'.

PLUS, the enduring mystery of the phantom typist who just has to tinker with the final draft and doesn't use a spell checker' (though Mark G. seemed to finally fix this).

9. Ducks.

Self explanatory really. :)

Party on dudes. This didn't start off as a philosophical treatise, honest. I'd be interesting in compiling a list of questions and maybe answers/possibilities/YGMV mantras as per para one.

But I go bed now...

John

--
nysalor_at_TFIiYk-VQuaAupUN5uyBpH4nLgYvs4gzkt08AQk2S4M-MUoJ3AOZraeS9V_1ym2iX1c_UKIvoTTJyNRh-q2pew.yahoo.invalid          John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

... a flying arrow, a crashing wave, night old ice,
a coiled snake, a bride's bed talk, a broken sword,
the play of bears, a king's son.

- Havamal 86.