Re: Bashing...

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_Gm2Pw87gTca92HxHbDPMKJNv39LiDPE1BmEKNfcLdIm7oPO-eOGMgoc6eu1-6>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:01:52 -0000

Tim:
> If there is any HQ list where "Bashing the Bishop" ought to be on
> topic then it's this one...

On the subject of episcopally themed witticisms and euphemisms, there was a wonderful story on the late John Peel's R4 Home Truths, back in 2003. It concerned the ecclesiastical game known as "Nuns' Cleavage".

It was invented by a chap, who happened to be a dean (at Westminster, if I recall, probably incorrectly). The aim of this game was simple: if you spotted two nuns walking together (as they are often wont), the intrepid gamesman was to walk towards them so as to break their peregrinatory formation, causing them to split and walk around him on either side. A successful manoeuvre of this kind was called a 'cleavage'.

The player always sought to obtain a good nuns' cleavage (and some were no doubt better than others) and rack up the cleavages one could collect.

Apparently, the best nuns' cleavage the inventor achieved was when he was at the top of the steps of [St. Marks, if I remember correctly], when he achieved an unprecedented 'slalom cleavage' as he manoeuvred his way down...

I actually tried this in Manchester once, but was resolutely defeated. The steadfast nuns were not for breaking formation.

Cheerio,

Stu.