Re: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] Re: Bashing...

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_ex4MIQQm-_72DjMyFmFWnWFLDzV1Js7kbMuNt7TxMh30Xr4ZFo8KWIw3Zf75arvFt1O>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:38:23 +1300

At 08:01 AM 1/20/05 +0000, you wrote:

>On the subject of episcopally themed witticisms and euphemisms,
>there was a wonderful story on the late John Peel's R4 Home Truths,
>back in 2003. It concerned the ecclesiastical game known as "Nuns'
>Cleavage".

Seeing this, I am reminded of part of a poem I just saw discussed on a Linguistics blog:

         Then owls and bats
         Cowls and twats
         Monks and nuns in a cloister's moods
         Adjourn to the oak-stump pantry

         from Robert Browning's "Pippa Passes"

Apparently Browning used "twat" thinking it was an article of nun's clothing. Stupid twat.