Re: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] Re: Why...

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_JoepV31YV-MCyqXJRfxKa9hgL0L3wjCt7F-25LrJCC-dmipmIY1SwXNnL_5Q8thj>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 13:45:49 -0800 (PST)

I'll delurk for just a moment to respond to just one part of this:

> Well then, it's easily fixed. A single, clear
> public statement from Issaries addressing
> these issues.
>
> A short, simple and direct company charter or
> statement of purpose that addresses Issaries
> rights *and* obligations to customers, gamers,
> authors and even (gasp) supporters.

John, you really don't want something short and simple. The only way to go short and simple on this is "Issaries owns everything. You may only use anything with express written permission." This is what lots and lots of people do.

Give them credit for at least trying to present a nuanced policy that expressly permits many things, anticipates an abbreviated process for other things where they have to maintain the appearance (not necessarily the substance) of policing their intellectual property, and allows exceptions to any rule on request. So it's not perfect, but it is very permissive compared to the norm. You should see the stuff I write. ("All your derivative works are belong to us.")

Further, as a lawyer, I would fire any client that purported to set out a charter that undertakes obligations to customers in the manner you seem to suggest. It is just asking for trouble that a company II's size would be foolish to invite. As to authors, I would think that the range of concerns that each author would articulate (from "I just want decent credit" to "You have to pay me") defies any universal policy, which is why their policy calls for individualized agreements.

I hear and sympathize with Nick's issue. But I don't think your answer is feasible.

Chris Lemens

(Not an ad: If you have a little extra money to donate to a good cause, check out http://www.modestneeds.org/.)

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources site! http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/