Re: Why...Insider bitch says why

From: Rick Meints <rjmeints_at_obEmosQKuzIprK6lpaH_AcS5oKZ0OwrJpuwBHMGw1Mjimc446niKkX_VZTkp0VZ3tNx>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 01:39:58 -0000

John,

What you are about to read will look amazingly similar to what you will find on an official site very soon. I don't think posting it will get me in any trouble since it is something I helped write. It contains a couple of the clarifications you have been seeking:

The "Concept Use" statement seems to give you permission to steal from me and not credit me.

This is absolutely not true. It would be illegal, and Issaries has absolutely no intention of using your work without your permission and without giving you credit. What needs to be made clear is the difference between using a "concept" and using a body of your work. A concept is something as simple as a single place name, the name of a person, or the name of an event. It is very difficult for Issaries to track down the original author of a simple idea, like who came up with the concept that "Harvar Ironfist has red hair," and always give them credit. There is no realistic way to credit everyone who contributed some cool little item as part of a larger concept. Often, small concepts were worked on by a number of people and there is no clear development history. It is impossible for Issaries to do it, and the policy needs to state that Issaries has no obligation to do this.

Bodies of work are an entirely different matter. An example would be writing a page on the City of Boldhome. Issaries can only use a body of work with author permission and credit. You are not giving away your rights to be named as the author. If you honestly believe that Issaries would steal your work, you may want to seriously consider another gaming world to write about. Glorantha has been a group creative effort for many years now. Every effort is made to give credit where due. Also, whenever someone has made it known to Issaries that they have not credited someone properly Issaries credited that individual through a subsequent announcement, usually with an apology for the omission.

Isn't this Policy just a hollow sham without the appendices?

No. While it would be better explained with them, none of the appendices (that are still being written) contain anything beyond examples of the policy in action to help make it understandable. They are a nice addition, but do not add to the policy rules.

Enjoy,

Rick
Arrogant Bastard