RE: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] Re: Why...

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_DVUWs9C-0TQIy8mVc5ELbmzC0t5yM83KmfnEjDuHXAkQOFm2GnBPS_6HIW-Y4>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 18:59:58 +0100

> As the editor of a Glorantha fanzine, I am expected to sign
> away all my _contributors' rights_ upfront. Given that I do
> not own those rights, this is an impossible expectation to
> fulfil,...

You could of course ask each of them individually. As a potential contributor, I wouldn't object to being asked, and in many cases would agree. I wouldn't enjoy it, but given the available options, I'd do it.

> On a tangent, I'm a Microsoft Beta Tester, and this fan policy we're
> all supposed to agree with is just laughably heavy-handed compared
> to the measures M$ have come up with (effective ones) to protect
> their copyrights. The II fan policy strikes me as being completely
> fucking paranoid, but maybe Greg just chose an idiot, incompetent
> lawyer (hoping not to offend the lawyer if he or she is a list
> member, but if so well tough shit).

(Trying hard to be fair) Perhaps it comes as no surprise that Microsoft can afford a better lawyer than Issaries.

Though (giving up in despair), it *does* come as a surprise that they found a lawyer so incompetent that *I* could spot their mistakes :(