Re: Why

From: Nils Weinander <nils_at_1NspIMRiiMIYPP8oovUujEFm3Nugoe5FolvfCs_VVWlodKQD3exTbATnHvJHsE8f7BJuNVg>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 16:09:03 +0200

Julian:

> On a tangent, I'm a Microsoft Beta Tester, and this fan policy we're
> all supposed to agree with is just laughably heavy-handed compared
> to the measures M$ have come up with (effective ones) to protect
> their copyrights.

A monumentally inept comparison. (Is that offensive enough? Maybe not.) A moronically stupid comparison, for two reasons.

  1. Microsoft protect their IP primarily through patents. Even the U.S. patent office wouldn't allow patents on Glorantha.
  2. Microsoft is the richest company in this part of the galaxy. They have the money and the lawyers to out-process any force known to man (or buy them off).
    Nils Weinander We sail on a ship made of dreams